Wednesday, October 12, 2011

What if I Stumble?

I know, I know…you aren’t supposed to brag on things you are good at.
Really who wants to hear someone go on and on about something they excel in?

Well can you humor me for a minute? 
Will you let me tell you about something I really think I could win a gold metal in?

Thank you so much!

Drum roll please…I think I can trump everyone in this special ability that I have…
                                                                      Stairs!
                                                               UP
                                                  Falling
                                             Is
                                        It

Yes you heard that right!  I have the un-canning ability to fall UP stairs.

Over my lifetime I can only count two times that I have fallen down the stairs but I don’t have enough friends to use their fingers and toes to count the number of times I have fallen UP stairs.

Wouldn’t you know it that my bedroom is on the second level of our house so it has become a joke with my family when they hear the “thump, thump, THUD” as I ascend the staircase?  I can hear in the background the sighs and giggles as I straighten my hair and clothing.  Of course it is so common that all I get from them anymore is a flat “you ok?”

Psalm 37:23-24 tells us,
“The LORD directs the steps of the godly.
He delights in every detail of their lives.
Though they stumble, they will never fall,
For the LORD holds them by the hand.”

For a person that falls up stairs all the time, I find real comfort in this passage.  As long as I am walking towards God, He directs my path and every step.  Another thing I grasp onto is that it says, “though they stumble”.  It doesn’t say if they or they won’t really but says though they stumble and if you remember I think I’ve got that one down.

The picture in my thoughts is that of us traveling up towards God for God is high and lifted up. 
Also because scripture tells us He lifts us out of the pit. 

He lifted me out of the pit of despair,
Out of the mud and the mire.
He set my feet on solid ground
And steadied me as I walked along.
Psalm 40:2

Have you ever been stuck in mud and been freed from it?  Unless you were able to immediately remove the excess mud from your shoes you will be slipping all over the place.  God tells us in these two passages that  He will steady you as you walk by holding your hand.  What a comfort!

Although I am sure to fall going up actual stairs many more times in my life, I am also thankful that when I slip and stumble (which I will) in my walk towards God He will be there steadying me with His hand. 

What a better way to fall than into the HANDS OF GOD???

Stepping from the Shadows,

Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment