Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Let Go and Let God

Standing there on the wooden platform high above the ground all harnessed up with nylon straps really had me thinking about the word trust.

In one hand was a metal contraption and the other hand was free so that I could reach high to grab hold of the wire cable then bringing the two together clamp myself to it.  Adrenaline rushing through my body as my turn came.  I was told to sit back into the harness, pick up my feet and glide through the tree tops of rain forest to the next wooden platform.  Imagine if you will looking up and seeing a cable that was not much thicker than a nickel was round and you are told to clamp onto it.  That moment when you pick up your feet, you are experiencing Trust with a capital T.

All kinds of things could cause you to fret over your situation.  Who made that cable?  Who sewed this harness?  Did the one that hung the cables get them good and secure to the trees? What if? What if? What if?

Many times when facing tough or scary situations in our lives we start to worry, asking all kinds of questions instead of trusting. What if…? What if…? What if…? Well at least that has been my default. But God has a different plan for us at those times.

Psalm 37:3 says, “Trust in the LORD, and do good; [so] shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.

The word trust in the Hebrew is ba’tach which means to attach to or secure to.

Here the psalmist is telling us than when things are tough, scary or even confusing we are to attach ourselves to the Lord.  We have to do just like when I was zip-lining through the treetops.  Reach up and secure ourselves to The One and Only then sit back into the harness of His hands and let Him be the support and security. 

A friend often tells me, “We have to let go and let God.” 

Let God carry us through a trial. 

Let God carry us through a desert. 

Let God carry us through the storm.

Let God carry us through the peace as well.

Are you facing a situation that has you baffled?  Have you attached yourself to God?  Are you letting go and letting God? What’s keeping you from lifting up your feet and soaring through the tree tops with God?

Oh the zip-line was a blast! I loved soaring through the sky giggling and smiling the entire way down.  But let me tell you it doesn’t hold a candle to attaching yourself to God.  That my friend is a lot more fun and is an adventure beyond compare!!!!

Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment